At least eight people were killed and more than 20 injured after a powerful explosion ripped through a crowded area near Red Fort, one of India’s most iconic historical landmarks in central Delhi, on Monday afternoon.

Police officials said the blast occurred around 3:45 p.m. local time near a busy street market outside the fort’s Lahore Gate entrance, a popular site for both tourists and local vendors. Emergency responders and bomb disposal units rushed to the scene as authorities cordoned off the entire area.

“We can confirm eight fatalities so far,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police Manoj Meena. “Rescue operations are ongoing, and injured victims are being transported to nearby hospitals.”

Local news networks showed footage of mangled vehicles, shattered glass, and debris scattered across the road as ambulances and fire crews worked through thick smoke. Witnesses reported hearing a “loud explosion followed by chaos and panic.”

Investigators Probe Possible Terror Link

While officials have not confirmed the cause, senior Delhi Police officers said they are investigating whether the explosion was caused by an improvised explosive device (IED) placed near a roadside stall.

India’s National Investigation Agency (NIA) has been called in to assist, and forensic teams are collecting samples from the blast site. Preliminary findings suggest the explosive may have contained ammonium nitrate and shrapnel, a signature often used in prior militant attacks.

“We are not ruling out any possibilities at this stage,” said Delhi Police Commissioner Sanjay Arora. “It is too early to speculate, but the pattern resembles a deliberate act.”

No group has claimed responsibility as of Monday evening.

Red Fort: A Symbolic Target

The 17th-century Red Fort, a UNESCO World Heritage Site